Juniper Networks is leading the revolution in networking, making it one of the most exciting technology companies in Silicon Valley today. Since being founded over 20 years ago, Juniper's sole mission has been to create innovative products and solutions that meet the growing demands of the connected world. Our customers include the top 100 global service providers and 30,000 enterprises, including the Global Fortune 100 as well as hundreds of federal, state, and local government agencies and higher educational organizations.
At Juniper Networks, we believe the network is the single greatest vehicle for knowledge, understanding, and human advancement that the world has ever known. Now more than ever, the world needs network innovation to connect ideas and unleash our full potential. Juniper is taking an innovative approach to the network - one that is intelligent, agile, secure, and open to any vendor and any network environment.Privacy Counsel - remote position based in the U.S
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced Privacy Counsel
to join our global Privacy Legal team. You will collaborate with business and legal stakeholders throughout Juniper and will be a key contributor to Juniper's privacy program success. You will need to be a self-starter who will proactively assess and advise on privacy legal risks. Juniper's privacy team is engaged for both legal/regulatory advisory work as well as privacy operational implementation. This role reports to the Assistant General Counsel, Data Privacy.Job Responsibilities
- Advise on data protection and data handling standards and on appropriate disclosure, notification, and consent mechanisms.
- Assist in the development, review and negotiation of customer, partner, and vendor data processing agreements.
- Assist with updating privacy policies and company documents to reflect changing U.S state-specific and global country-specific privacy laws. Help to develop and manage internal controls relating to privacy legal frameworks.
- Assist in doing Privacy Risk Assessments, provide legal guidance and prepare documentation to assist product counsel on materials related to new products, product enhancements, and new use cases.
- Assist in incident and data breach responses (including evaluating notification requirements).
- Assist in developing privacy related training materials
- Research and respond to day-to-day privacy-related questions from other legal stakeholders and internal business clients as these arise.
- Assist in the modification of existing privacy contracts to comply with new Standard Contractual Clauses and Schrems II requirements.
- Assist in rolling out key privacy program initiatives to ensure Juniper is compliant with GDPR and data protection laws around the world.
You are highly motivated, intelligent, and have demonstrated excellence in prior endeavors. The successful candidate should have:
- 6+ years of legal experience, including at a law firm or in-house
- Minimum of 3 years' experience of practicing privacy law in a law firm or technology company
- Working knowledge or expertise of the GDPR, CCPA, and some understanding of other major privacy frameworks and evolving legislation, security laws, rules, and regulations worldwide, as well as industry leading-practices and standards
- Privacy certification CIPP/US and/or CIPP/E preferred
- Experience interpreting privacy regulations
- Deep understanding of personal data ideally in the technology industry, but relevant experience from other consumer/regulated industries will also be considered
- Excellent legal and business judgment with the ability both to assess and communicate risks to business partners in clear, actionable fashion to facilitate compliance programs that grow with the business
- Good understanding of how to operationalize privacy by design principles, and emerging technologies as well as familiarity with privacy control frameworks
- Understand the importance of data privacy, but also the practical obstacles of implementing those principles in a complex technology ecosystem in a fast-moving environment, with experience working cross-functionally to overcome those obstacles
- Excellent organizational, communication skills and collaborative personality
- Exceptional written, verbal skills and change management skills
- Track record of taking initiative, having the ability to work independently, and manage multiple projects with competing deadlines
- A law degree (JD or equivalent)
Note this position can be remote