The Mother Baby Unit staff Registered Nurse (RN) is a professional caregiver who assumes responsibility for a group of patients for a designated time frame and provides care to these patients via the utilization of the nursing process, nursing trends, technology, financial and human resources within the philosophy of the institution. The Mother Baby Unit nurse and staff are committed to our Nursing Professional Practice Model; we believe in caring relationships with our patients, families, community, and colleagues to provide exceptional care. On the Mother Baby Unit, our dedicated nursing staff, nurse leaders, interdisciplinary team members, and physician partners practice on providing specialized care to both mothers and infants maintaining safe patient care and excellent patient satisfaction.
- Performs all responsibilities and duties required by unit as specific to the scope of service. Implements procedures and theories related to the specific area of practice. Maintains up-to-date and accurate documentation of nursing care provided to assure the integration of information for use by the healthcare team.
- Completes initial assessment upon patient admission and develops appropriate plan of care in accordance with unit standards and that is based on patient and family needs. Implements plan of care, nursing interventions, and patient care procedures. Modifies plan of care based upon continuous evaluation.
- Takes responsibility for patient and employee safety by reporting and/or correcting safety hazards and incidents.
- Communicates with others directly and in private when necessary to resolve issues. Offers constructive feedback to assist in the professional development of peers, and confers with colleagues to expand knowledge base. Identifies own learning needs and takes initiative to begin appropriate solution.
- Fulfills all requirements of departmental competencies.
- Provides care to the inpatient obstetric patient.
- Monitors fetal well being.
- Administers medication specific to the obstetric patient.
- Provides patient education specific to the obstetric population.