Regular Job Description
For over 50 years, AeroVironment has been a leader in advanced technologies and diverse innovations that have redefined how the world drives, flies, and connects.
We created MacCready Works Advanced Solutions, named for our founder, Dr. Paul B. MacCready, Jr., to ensure that creativity and long-term thinking remain at the core of our culture. With a focus on the future, this group of select, visionary scientists and engineers partner with our customers to explore breakthrough technologies that open new, more powerful ways to tackle difficult challenges. Together, they research and develop advanced technologies in robotics, sensors, software analytics and connectivity to identify innovative solutions that push beyond the current applications. These revenue-generating projects significantly contribute to the growth of the company and stretch our imaginations to spawn new inventions.
Once conceptualized, we can apply these new technologies to other projects, keeping us and our customers at the forefront of cutting-edge innovation. We are currently working on tomorrows solutions by creating highly autonomous, mission-centered products that operate jointly across multiple domains, and position our customers at the leading edge of interconnected systems.
We are here to tackle the impossiblewithout hesitation. Summary
We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer II
to join the Learning and Active Perception (LEAP) group in AVs MacCready Works division and develop a variety of innovative computer vision detection, classification, localization, and tracking solutions for defense and commercial applications. The Machine Learning Engineer II
will be a member of the Learning and Active Perception (LEAP) group in AVs MacCready Works division and develop a variety of innovative computer vision detection, classification, localization, and tracking solutions for defense and commercial applications. These development efforts will require a range of skills and tools across traditional engineering, computer science, and mathematical disciplines including computer vision, machine learning, optimization, deep convolutional neural networks, and visual tracking. This position will work on a variety of stages of development including requirements definition, concept design, prototyping, detailed design, test and evaluation, and validation and verification testing. Position Responsibilities:
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills & Experience):
- Support development of computer vision and machine learning (ML) algorithms capable of detection, classifying, localizing, and tracking objects of interest from a variety of stationary and mobile sensor platforms
- Implement ML algorithms and validate designs through a series of purpose-designed experiments
- Analyze ML algorithms to solve a given problem and rank them by their success probability on new data
- Set objectives and develop models that help achieve them, along with metrics to track their progress
- Select appropriate datasets and data representations
- Analyze errors of the model and design strategies to overcome them
- Write and test software to support the integration of machine learning algorithms into aircraft (such as autopilots, payloads, or other functional components) or other systems
- Other duties as assigned
Other Qualifications & Desired Competencies:
- Bachelor of Science in any of the following fields: Computer Science/Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related Science or Engineering discipline,
- Minimum of 2-5 years of relevant experience in in machine learning and/or computer vision
- Familiarity with C/C++ or Python required
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot complex systems
- Proficiency with a deep learning framework such as TensorFlow or Keras
- Proficiency with basic libraries for machine learning such as scikit-learn and pandas
- Proficiency with OpenCV
- Familiarity with Linux
- Visualizing and manipulating big datasets
- Exploratory data analysis
- Predictive analytics
- Familiarity with office software and computer-based productivity tools
- Ability to work within defined requirements to complete tasks under moderate supervision
- Must be a team player and collaborate effectively
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Has effective problem-solving, analytical and interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, where small teams share a broad variety of duties
- Displays strong initiative and drive to accomplish goals and meet company objectives
- Takes ownership and responsibility for current and past work products
- Is committed to learning from mistakes and driven to improve and enhance performance of oneself, others, and the company
- Focuses on teamwork and puts the success of the team above one's own interests
COVID Vaccine Statement
- Ability to work in an office environment (Constant)
- Required to sit and stand for long periods; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard (Frequent)
AeroVironment is a U.S. government contractor, and is therefore subject to the September 9, 2021 Presidential Executive Order requiring COVID-19 vaccines for federal contractors. Consistent with AeroVironments commitment to health, safety, and national security, all U.S.-based AeroVironment employees must be fully vaccinated from COVID-19; this means that all new hires located in the United States must provide proof of being fully vaccinated from COVID-19 before their start date. At this time, the vaccination requirement applies only to U.S.-based employees; non-U.S. locations will have their own vaccination policies in accordance with applicable law of the non-U.S. jurisdiction. ITAR Requirement: This position requires access to information that is subject to compliance with the International Traffic Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). In order to comply with the requirements of the ITAR and/or the EAR, applicants will be asked to provide specific documentation to verify U.S. person status under the ITAR and the EAR. A U.S. person according to their definition is a U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident (green card holder), or protected individual such as a refugee, or asylee. See 22 CFR 120.15. Some positions will require current U.S. Citizenship due to contract requirements. Benefits
: AV offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental vision, 401K with company matching, a 9/80 work schedule and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit: .
We also encourage you to review our company website at to learn more about us.
Principals only need apply. NO agencies please. Who We Are
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, weve been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the worlds most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institutions permanent collection in Washington, DC.
Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty and succeed. What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the companys hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition. AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply. ITAR
U.S. Citizenship required. Must be willing to work on government contracts and have the ability to obtain a security clearance. ABOUT US
At AeroVironment, our purpose is to secure lives and advance sustainability through transformative innovation. Our solutions give our customers a fresh vantage point, positioning them to see the world with new eyes and extending their reach beyond the line of sight. That is the power of our breakthrough unmanned aircraft systems, perfected and refined over a half century.
Whether they are warfighters searching for an enemy, border patrol agents searching for people in need of assistance, or telecom providers linking millions to the digital economy, our customers choose AeroVironment because our systems generate actionable intelligence reliably..... click apply for full job details