USG is an industry-leading manufacturer of building products and innovative solutions. For more than 115 years, Chicago-based USG has developed award-winning wall, ceiling, flooring, sheathing and roofing products that enable customers to build the outstanding spaces where people live, work and play. With almost 7,000 employees across North America and operations around the world, we are steadfastly committed to our core values: safety, innovation, quality, integrity, service, diversity and efficiency.
We're big enough that our professionals have the resources to make a difference, yet small enough that you're not just a number. You'll work on key initiatives and build strong relationships across the company that will position USG for growth into the future.
USG offers work-life balance, specialist and general/managerial career paths, promotion form within, exceptional benefits, and incredible long-term career opportunities for the right professional. Each year, we have hundreds pf employees who celebrate milestone anniversaries with us. Join us.
As a member of the Technical Engineering Team, the Mechanical Technical Engineer is responsible for the coordination and implementation of the engineering activities necessary to provide state of the art technology and process systems for the manufacture of all USG products. These technologies are used in the development, design, and deployment of highly technical, efficient manufacturing equipment arrangements. Projects will range from $1 million to $300 million depending on the level of experience and expertise of the incumbent. Provides continuous and effective communication between Engineering, Manufacturing, Technical Services, Project Management, and other groups throughout the life of projects. Coordinates the effort of both internal and external engineering professionals to ensure the timely and cost effective completion of project designs. Maintains a state of continuous improvement with regard to department and project efficiency.
Key Accountabilities And Responsibilities
- Develop the design criteria and mechanical/process scope of work for assigned projects
- Provide technical leadership to teams of engineers and designers in the development of detailed designs, specifications, vendor inspections, installation, start-up, and proper operation of plant manufacturing systems.
- Work with design and drafting teams to develop procurement, fabrication, and construction document packages
- Evaluate complex plant mechanical process arrangements and make recommendations for cost effective upgrading or improvement to the latest integrated technology.
- Consult with and respond to USG's facilities on emergency repairs, troubleshooting, production, and major maintenance problems.
- Work with design and drafting teams to develop, design, and implement mechanical arrangements for all areas of manufacturing equipment, including new equipment designs, in order to implement the company's manufacturing philosophy in the areas of safety, machinery capabilities, and operator interface.
- Assist project managers in the development of project cost estimates for process equipment
- Execution of projects within established schedule and cost goals with emphasis on continued improvement
- Effective integration of internal and external engineering resources to complete project activities
- Effective and consistent communication with all relevant parties
- Management of multiple projects simultaneously while ensuring effective progress on each
- Plan and direct the on-site commissioning activities for assigned projects
Additional Position Requirements
- Approximately 20 to 35% travel to manufacturing plants and other project sites in the US, Canada, and Mexico, with the potential for occasional travel to international locations.
- Work from home is permitted, but incumbent must be within reasonable driving distance of a major airport in support of travel requirements.
- BS in Engineering or Sciences with prior experience in the practical integration of process equipment. Position band level may be adjusted commensurate with previous experience and skill sets.
- Minimum of 5 years of engineering related experience, with 10+ years of experience preferred
- Significant experience in the gypsum industry preferred.
- Experience in the specification and integration of material handling systems, including screw conveyors, bucket elevators, belt conveyors, pneumatic conveying systems, and pumping systems.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Problem recognition and response
- Experience in managing consultants
- Experience with 3D modelling and the use of point cloud scans
EOE including disability/veteran