Avangrid is looking for a Process & Control Engineer to join their team in Augusta, ME.
Responsible for the design, configuration, maintenance and renewal of automation, data collection, protection & control equipment subsystems on AVANGRID's electric delivery infrastructure in New England (Central Maine Power and United Illuminating) and New York (NYSEG and RG&E). AVANGRID's electric delivery system is approximately 8,600 miles of transmission lines and 1,000 substations.
Engineering activities for electric transmission and substation system protection projects to ensure safe, timely and cost-effective completion. Conduct analysis, develop estimates and apply engineering standards and criteria to drive the completion of projects. Coordinate with other departments, vendors, and consultants in order to complete projects in a timely and cost effective manner.
Ensure all protection system designs meet applicable company, local, state, and national codes and standards (NESC, FERC, NERC, NPCC, NYISO, ISO-NE, NY PSC, ME PUC, CT PUC, etc.).
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform engineering design, estimating, and analysis of the electric transmission and substation protection systems in support of the capital construction programs. Perform engineering calculations and analysis. Review and approve detailed protection system designs, including settings, developed both internally and by engineering consultants.
- Review and approve work of engineering contractors who provide automation engineering and design services to ensure compliance with company standards, specifications, and contract requirements. Develop technical specifications, standards, contracts and purchase orders. Direct engineering contractors and consultants performing system automation & integration roles.
- Analyze distribution fault event operations to ensure protection scheme operated as intended. Develop and provide clear and concise fault analysis reports to management depicting corrective actions and lessons learned when necessary.
- Management of compliance programs applicable to substation assets. Act as subject matter expert during audits.
- Travel to worksites on an as needed basis.
Education & Experience Required:
- 4 years of experience in Engineering or 1 year of experience in Protection & Control
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering / Technology.
- MS in Engineering preferred.
- Successful Completion of Fundamentals of Engineering Exam preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of power system analysis and fundamentals of equipment protection.
- Knowledge of national and international standards, regulations, and compliance requirements associated with power system protection.
- Experience with power system protection applications such as ASPEN OneLiner, ASPEN Line Database.
- Knowledge of IEC-61850 standards.
- Knowledge of FERC/NERC/NPCC and state regulations.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Strong Electrical Design Experience.
- Able to perform protection coordination analysis.
- Proficiency and fluency in power system protection theory, application, standards, design, test, commissioning, and analysis.
AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.'s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World's Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit
This job has been posted by TalentBoost on behalf of Avangrid. TalentBoost is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of TalentBoost not to discriminate based on race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.