Avangrid is seeking a Protection and Control Engineer to join their team in Orange, CT location.
Responsible for electric system protection technology platforms in Connecticut (United Illuminating), Maine (Central Maine Power and Maine Electric Power Company) and New York (NYSEG and RG&E), including standards, training, and communication. The electric delivery system in Maine contains approximately 2,600 miles of transmission lines & 317 substations. The electric delivery system in New York contains approximately 5,600 miles of transmission lines & 621 substations (for a total of 8,200 miles and 965 substations).
Consult and guide for project engineers on protection engineering for electric transmission and substation system protection projects to ensure system reliability and safety. Guide engineering studies to evaluate equipment, system effectiveness, and protection system operations.
Lead and guide the Protection Engineering group across AVANGRID in their technical training and development. Evaluate and implement new and advanced technology platforms to increase reliability and efficiency.
Ensure all protection system standards and designs meet applicable company, local, state, and national codes and standards (IEC, IEEE, NESC, FERC, NERC, NPCC, NYISO, ISO-NE, NY PSC, and ME PUC).
Liaison across Operating Companies, across global affiliates, with different departments, and with outside groups and agencies. Contributes to the development of System Protection strategy.
Major Roles & Responsibilities
- Guide engineering design, estimating, and analysis of the electric transmission and substation protection systems in support of capital construction budget and keeping system performance enhancement in line with budget. Responsible for protection system platforms, including settings, testing, and commissioning developed both internally and by contractors and consultants.
- Responsible for the development of the system protection platform for AVANGRID and coordination with global affiliates; including integration, settings, networking, engineering criteria, construction standards, design and equipment specifications, integration schemes, automation configurations, commissioning plans, and requirements for engineering suppliers and contractors. Oversee the evaluation and demonstration of new technology in terms of safety, cost and other efficiencies; and implement to enhance power system performance.
- Oversee engineering studies to evaluate equipment and protection system performance and effectiveness and analyze operational issues in support of system reliability and operational efficiency. Develop and validate information needed for engineering analyses and apply engineering judgment to solve complex technical problems.
- Provide expertise and guide the analysis of transmission fault event operations to ensure protection scheme operated as intended. Ensure clear and concise fault analysis reports to management depicting corrective actions and lessons learned when necessary.
- Represent the company on regional and national committees.
- Lead and guide the technical development of the Protection Engineering group.
Cross Company Responsibility: As the primary protection engineering expert within the USA organization, provide a high level of consultation on diverse and highly complex problems, and on emerging technological, regulatory, or political issues. Work across Operating Companies, global affiliates, and with different departments both within and outside the organization.
Education & Experience Required:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology; Master's Degree preferred
- Professional engineering license preferred
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in power systems engineering or 4 years of experience in protection and control engineering or related field
- Knowledge of all aspects of engineering & design, national and international standards, and compliance requirements associated with power system protection.
About the Company
- Utilize knowledge to influence and guide department engineers.
- Provide technical leadership in complex projects that have a wide impact on the department
- Mentor, develop and support team in technical skills
- Ability to collaborate across departments
- Liaison/ direct contractors on company policy, standards and best practices
- Work independently with little supervision
- Independent decision-making capability
- Strong diagnostic and problem-solving skills to decipher the most perplexing technical and analytical problems
- Strong communication skills and interpersonal to articulate highly technical concepts
- Effective leadership skills to drive change and adoption of new technologies across Operating Companies and international affiliates
- Expertise in performing complex protection coordination analysis
- Demonstrate project management skills
- Strong awareness and application of commercial implications, including cost estimating, budgeting, least cost planning etc.
- Safety leadership by example in application of and adherence to all safety regulations in process and procedures development
- Expertise in all aspects of power engineering theory, application, standards, design, test, commissioning, and analysis
AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.'s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World's Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit
This job has been posted by TalentBoost on behalf of Avangrid. TalentBoost is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of TalentBoost not to discriminate based on race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.