Have you heard? The Wills Group is Great Place to Work Certified ! We're proud of this achievement and our people who make greatness happen. Want to join a company that puts its people first?
Job Purpose and Function
The purpose of the Sr. Real Estate Manager position is to proactively identify, negotiate, propose, and procure New-to-Industry and Competitive Take Over real estate opportunities that strategically fit into the Company's existing portfolio of assets. Additionally, the function will oversee the strategic handling of existing regional real estate. These activities include, but are not limited to, the management of regional fee and leased properties, the disposition or leasing of selected properties consistent with the company's network development plans, and the implementation of total market strategies that include acquiring adjacent land, and property relocation.
How You'll Make an Impact (Key Accountabilities)
- Procurement of properties and handling/orchestrating initial entitlements obligations: identify key sites for future TWGI site development. Assemble adjacent properties for future site development. Develop entitlement strategies and coordinate successful zoning
- approvals. Obtain internal approvals necessary to proceed with opportunity, including IC proposal and presentation development. Create and recommend real estate strategies for all existing real estate assets within a defined region. Lead and manage the process consistent with Company protocol, goals, and objectives.
- Management of Land Issues: Assist Real Estate Asset Manager in secondary role to coordinate access, easement, and right of way takings (Eminent Domain) with regulatory bodies, attend hearings, monitor and communicate competitor activity, , assist
- in the activities for development of properties with outside consultants and internal stakeholders. Help to manage and foster positive landlord relationships. Help to develop, grow, and maintain real estate service provider contacts and networks. Monitor zoning issues and regional comprehensive planning associated with existing properties that may impact future development activities.
- Assist Asset Manager with regards to real estate administration as needed: help to ensure real estate database is properly maintained, recommend renewal of strategic leasehold sites and negotiation with landlords based on financial (EVA) model viability, coordinate lease termination activity and related issues, negotiate new leases both as landlord and tenant, analyze and exercise purchase options and Rights of First Refusal (ROFR), development of documents including Tenant Estoppel, SNDA, etc.
- Overall[LM1] management for the Real Estate Department which includes all Real Estate and New Business activities: Setting growth goals and facilitating new business development, managing the Network Planning process to ensure optimization of the chain, Developing alternative use plans for non-key real estate investments (Harvest to Dealer. 3rd Party Sales, Ground Lease options, co-developments, etc.). Proactively recommend alternative real estate processes and strategies to improve and build efficiencies.
What We're Looking For (Qualifications and Experience)
- Seasoned retail Real Estate and Development experience
- Petroleum, convenience store, car wash, and QSR real estate experience preferred
- Strong understanding of Development Entitlements process
- Experience with Real Estate Valuation and market trends
- Experience in finance modelling and investment returns
- Demonstrated knowledge of demographic modelling tools
- Bachelor's Degree in real estate, business, finance, economics or related field of experience
- Comprehensive experience in real estate acquisition
- Experience and understanding of zoning and permitting processes
- The ability to analyse and understand various types of appraisals and the appraisal process
- Experience in development and negotiation of real estate contracts and transactions
An ideal candidate will also have:
- Polished communications skills; both oral and written
- A strong understanding of real estate contracts with specialized knowledge of petroleum use
- The ability to develop and implement overall market plans
- Excellent negotiation skills
- A thorough understanding of the Wills Group financial (EVA) model and ability to coordinate with other departments within the organization
- An understanding of title, survey, jurisdictional approval process would be ideal.
- Extensive knowledge of market conditions including competitive shifts, future transportation changes, and economic development
- Weekend or evening work may be required depending on zoning, regulatory, or time sensitive internal issues. Overnight travel is occasionally required.
- Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Adapting and responding to change
- Working with people
- Persuading and influencing
- Business acumen
- Coalition building
- Informed judgement
Why You Should Join Wills Group
We are a $1.5 billion company headquartered in La Plata, Maryland (an easy 45-minute reverse commute from DC) with nearly 300 retail locations across the Mid-Atlantic region, including Dash In, Splash In ECO Car Wash, and SMO Motor Fuels. A family-owned company since 1926, our passion areas are in convenience retailing, fuels marketing, and commercial real estate and we pride ourselves on keeping our customers', employees' and communities' Lives in Motion.
Our Wills Group employees come to work for more than just a paycheck, but rather they come to learn, make contributions, make an impact, and feel valued as a part of our family-friendly culture. We have a work-hard, play-hard mentality that makes us a progressive company and we thrive on giving back to our community. That is what is core to our DNA.
Benefits and Perks
Are you interested in joining a certified Great Place to Work that invests in your development, future, and well-being? Are you looking for more than the "daily grind" where your day-to-day work makes an impact not only for the organization but for your community and your future? Then The Wills Group is the right fit for you.
We take pride in investing in our people's well-being, that's why we back our words with competitive total rewards packages.
- Financial Wellbeing -Employer 401 (k) match (currently at 7%), health savings plan, and financial planning
- Physical Wellbeing - comprehensive health, vision, and dental plans that meet the needs of our people
- Paid Time Off - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Community Engagement, Parental Leave for new Moms and Dads
- Work/Life Balance - Hybrid and Flexible work environment, Employee Assistance Program, Travel Assistance, Family Life Planning
- Education and Development Opportunities - 100% Tuition reimbursement to support our people's education goals, robust development programs, and certificate program assistance (up to 100% employer-paid)
- Competitive Salary - competitive pay matched to DC Metro area
- Bonus Opportunity - 15% annually