Come join a creative team of Security Engineers and Software Developers dedicated to the security of Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud computing environment for all of AWS customers. Since 2006, our team has been enabling our customers to bring great ideas to life in ways that arent possible in traditional IT environments. With AWS you can flexibly harness compute, storage, security, and other services from across the globe as your business demands them.
AWS Security is on the cutting edge of many security issues for a wide variety of platforms and technologies including cloud services, Internet of things (IoT), identity and access management, mobile devices, virtualization and custom hardware, all operating at massive scale. Similarly, our highly collaborative team is committed to each team members growth as our business grows.
As a senior software development engineer, you will help us design and build tools that keep AWS secure. Our team deals with immense quantities of resources across huge distributed systems, pushing the envelope on scale and advanced analytical techniques to find and mitigate security threats. This is a high visibility team that addresses important security challenges in AWS. You will engage with other teams across AWS to help secure their products.
While you may not be a security expert just yet, in this role youll develop a broad and deep understanding of the overall AWS security posture. Your work will impact all employees within AWS and help us shape the future direction of automatic security tools in AWS.
- Design and develop systems for detecting security issues in software
- Design and develop systems for detecting and presenting security problems so they can be fixed
- Rapidly prototype and incubate new security features and solutions
- Work closely with other internal development teams across various AWS services to coordinate security improvements
- Deliver high quality solutions in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift
- Learn about emerging security threats and implement systems to protect AWS from them
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we arent focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, were happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and were building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazons culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We understand the importance of flexibility and dont want where you are to be a barrier. We want most of our people close enough to their core team that they can easily travel to the office for a meeting within a days notice. Our primary locations include Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; San Jose, CA; San Luis Obispo, CA; Santa Monica, CA; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Austin, TX; Atlanta, GA; Herndon, VA; Arlington, VA; Annapolis Junction, MD; New York, NY; and Boston, MA.
Additional locations that will be considered include Phoenix, AZ; Tempe, AZ; Meridian, ID; Winchester, KY; Detroit, MI; Minneapolis, MN; Las Vegas, NV; Jersey City, NJ; Pittsburgh, PA; Charleston, SC; Nashville, TN; Huntington, WV; and Madison, WI.
Dont see your city here? Reach out to to learn more about how Amazon is offering teams more flexibility as we return to the office.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one software programming language
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines, and reporting
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems, ideally hosted through Amazon Web Services
- Meets/exceeds Amazons leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazons functional/technical depth and complexity for this roll
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit