Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is a 100% employee owned research and development, rapid prototyping, and product manufacturing firm located in Randolph, VT. We areseekinga Senior Software Engineer 1 at the Automation & Geosciences Sector of ARA. This position includes software design, development, unit testing, and software integration. You will use state of the art tools and development environments to develop software for sensor systems and robotic platforms. You will interface with other software engineers as well as electrical and mechanical engineers. This job requires minimal travel to install or troubleshoot field installations of robotics and sensors.
Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.
You will join a dynamic team working on our Robotic, Sensor, and Geotechnical product lines. You will be part of a team that designs, prototypes, integrates, and troubleshoots next generation technology: bringing state of the art solutions to both our warfighter and commercial customers. Our technology stack is diverse and varies per product but most recently it ranges from embedded Linux to Windows applications and Android devices using a variety of programming languages: C, modern C++, C#, Java and more recently Rust while our development infrastructure includes Gitlab with Jenkins for continuous integration. Our robotics applications and sensor integrations are heavily based on ROS. On any given day you may need to work on one or even a handful of the above.
- What you ll do as a Senior Software Engineer
- Work with a team to develop Open and Modular Software Architectures
- Development is guided by the full software lifecycle model from Requirements through Unit Testing
- Integrate sensor and robotic solutions
- Work on a collaborative team with electrical and mechanical Engineers, program managers, and technicians
- Develop Embedded firmware, software, sensor interface, and control systems within the Robotics and Geoscience technologies.
- Senior Software Engineer Requirements
- BS Software Engineering or equivalent
- 7-9 years of experience
- C, C++, C#, or Java experience
- Basic familiarity with Visual Studio or comparable IDE
- Familiarity with Linux (Debian based distributions preferred)
- Experience with software application design and development principals and standards
- Ability to develop in Windows and Linux environments
- Experience with Software Version Control (GIT)
- Senior Software Engineer Preferences
- Experience with Embedded Systems
- CI/CD familiarity (Gitlab CI, Jenkins, Circle CI, Travis etc.)
- Robotics (familiarity with Robotic Operating System, ROS)
- Familiarity with mobile development (Android, Xamarin, etc.)
- Network Socket Programming
- Video decoding
- Sensors or robotic autonomy algorithm (CPU or GPU based) development
- Computer Vision
- PLC Programming
ARA is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences.The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1,500 professionals and is rapidly growing.ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement.The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. We realize that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. ARA gives its employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take more active roles as owners. The culture is challenging; innovation and experimentation are the norm. Employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the company s success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Our motto is "Engineering and Science That Matters for Fun & Profit" and we live our core values of Passion, Freedom, Service and Growth every day.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)