Sr. Physician Assistant
The Department of Emergency Medicine is seeking a Sr. Physician Assistant
to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary health care team. Responsible for complex, standardized, patient care procedures that require experience and specialized training that would otherwise be performed by a physician. Educates patients and families in matters pertaining to health maintenance, disease prevention and appropriate measures in acute and chronic illness. Direct supervision from appropriate licensed physician as designated.Specific Duties and Responsibilities
:Essential Job Functions:
- Perform a comprehensive, accurate history and physical including chief compliant, presenting signs and symptoms, and past medical history and interval history. Recognize differences between normal and abnormal findings in H & P. Significant findings are validated or discussed with a physician as appropriate.
- Order and interpret laboratory tests, x-rays, diets, physical therapy, inhalation therapy or other services when delegated by a supervising physician. Abnormal findings are discussed with a physician as appropriate.
- Initiate IV therapy by peripheral, central, intraosseous routes, and venous cutdown. Perform injections, arterial puncture, venipuncture; and arterial line insertion. Initiate Basic/Advanced life support in response to emergency situations.
- Prepare chart documentation for review and counter signature by the physician.
- Determine differential diagnosis.
- Maintain technical proficiency with approved procedures including suturing, wound care and orthopedic care.
- Prescribe and regulate medications.
- Evaluate outcomes of previously implemented interventions.
- Arrange consultations and referrals when needed.
- Attend staff meetings to discuss patient and unit requirements. Daily informal discussions are held with the physician and other health professionals to plan patient care.
Scope of Responsibility:
- Give input for design of research protocols and procedures.
- Responsible for the conduct of EM sponsored clinical trials including regulatory issues, recruitment and good clinical practice. Coordinate the implementation of protocols in conjunction with the other staff members. Oversee daily operations for clinical research protocols in collaboration with other staff. Responsible to obtain informed consent from study participants.
- Remain proficient in the utilization of commonly used clinical protocols and guidelines.
- Remain abreast of new treatment modalities and technologies within the field of Emergency Medicine. Maintain competencies with the use of Med/Surg instruments and equipment.
- Participate in the interviewing process of clinical staff. Makes hiring recommendations. Can recommend discipline.
Working knowledge of the formal and informal policies, procedures and practices necessary to facilitate safe and effective management of acute and chronic illness in patients presenting in the ED.Decision Making:
Uses professional judgment and assumes complete responsibility for any decisions, their consequences, and results. Prioritizes and organizes work to meet the changing needs of the unit and patient care needs.Authority:
To coordinate and make decisions regarding patient care.Communication:
Develops collaborative relationship with supervising physician determining need and timing of communications. Exchange routine medical information with appropriate members of the health care team while maintaining patient confidentiality.Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree; Certification by the NCCPA or similar national certifying body; Completion of a CAAHEP certified Physician Assistant program. Must be licensed as PA in State of Maryland or other state where practicing. Requires minimum of 3 years experience in related clinical area, and obtained proficiency in area of specialty. Prefer at least 5 years experience. Residency or fellowship programs in area of specialization may substitute for some experience, as permitted by the JHU equivalency formula. Current CPR certification required. Must maintain current licensure and certification during duration of employment. Completion of the JHH credentialing process is required prior to start date. JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum experience required for the respective job.Preferred Qualifications
: Prefer at least 5 years of experience.Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must be able to proficiently work any shift independently within any of our three clinical arenas. Must be able to work at night when they are a sole provider within our EACU or with limited oversight within the ED.Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certifications:
Current CPR certification required. Must maintain current licensure and certification during duration of employment. Completion of the JHH credentialing process is required prior to start date.Physical Requirements:
Sitting, standing and walking for extended period. Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction. Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s). Ability to move standard equipment through a hospital or clinical environment.
- Able to stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Visual acuity for near vision
- Good hand/eye coordination
- Fine motor skills for performing such tasks as suturing and incision and draining of abscesses.
- Gross motor movements for applying plaster splints
Attention to patient safety, persona safety, and safety of co-workers due to contact with potentially infected body fluids with blood borne pathogens.
Classified Title: Sr. Physician Assistant Working Title: CO Sr. Physician Assistant Role/Level/Range:
ACRP/04/MG Starting Salary Range:
Competitive;Commensurate with experienceEmployee Group:
Full Time Schedule:
Varies;Essential Staff. Varied scheduled, including weekendsExempt Status:
School of Medicine, East Baltimore Campus Department Name:
Emegency Medicine Clinical Programs Personnel Area:
School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at . For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:To apply, visit
Copyright (c)2017 Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency